Saturday, February 23, 2008

My best assignment in the Air Force


Has anyone ever been to the Philippines????. If not you don't know what your are missing. I spent 2 and 1/2 years at a little place called Wallace Air Station. It is located in the Northern part of Luzon and about 140 miles from Manila. Our little base had a total of 160 Military, and our closest US Forces were in Manila, so needless to say we were on our own. The people there were probably the nicest I have ever met, and I have lived all over world. The locals new most of us on a first name basis, so no matter where we went in the area we always ran into someone we knew or who knew us. I don't ever recall any incidents involving our military personnel. I met my wife there on New Years Eve 1979, and we were married in April of that same year, now 29 years later what more can I say. She was there visiting here Aunt and Uncle ( her uncle was a retired USAF Chief Master Sergeant) who retired there. Her Dad was in the US Navy there during World War 2 and stayed after the war was over. I still get calls and letters from friends there even after all these years. This is my sweet thing (most of the time)working in our front garden.
An example of the quality of the people there is this. My friend who worked with our drone program went to town one night and had to much to drink and he was put into a jeepney (cab) by one of the local and woke up the next day in his bed. Well his wallet was missing and he got worried. He was telling me this that morning over a cup of coffee when a jeepney pulled up and the driver came in and gave him his wallet which he said he had found in his jeepney. It still had all of his money and evrything else inside. This is fairly typical of of the locals. Anyhow that was a war story, and I have to go to bed now, so good night to all. And lets keep it just another day in paradise.

Sphere: Related Content